Re: [orca-list] please help a newby make an install of ubuntu 12.10 more accessible

Hi Rusty,

Well, you have a couple of options here. If you just want to get a
more accessible desktop such as Gnome you don't need to upgrade to get
Gnome Shell and a few more accessible applications. You can simply
open Gnome Terminal and do a
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
to get the packages for Gnome Shell. Then to configure Gnome as your
default desktop logout, press control+s to bring Orca up on your
LightDM login screen, tab to the sessions button, select Gnome as your
default desktop, and log back in. Once you do that you should have a
more accessible desktop environment to work with.

If you want to upgrade Ubuntu 12.10 to Ubuntu 13.04 you can do it from
the terminal window as well. You would open Gnome Terninal and do
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
which would update apt-get with the latest list of packages and
perform a dist upgrade from 12.10 to 13.04. However, if you want Gnome
etc you will still need to install and configure that after performing
the dist upgrade.

HTH