Re: [orca-list] Is Linux suitable for non-programmer/computer scientists?

Or Ubuntu Software Center.

Bill
On 03/17/2013 10:04 PM, Hank Smith, and Seeing-Eye dog Iona wrote:
but don't u have to install linux apps from command line? On
3/17/2013 6:09 PM, Christopher Chaltain wrote:
See my thoughts below.

On 03/17/2013 08:00 PM, Jason White wrote:
My suggestion would be to get a working and accessible Linux
installation, then take your time to learn it properly before
you start using it for important work. Remember that there's
always more to learn and that you can do it at your own pace as
your needs and desires evolve. Having an attitude which
recognizes that learning it will be fun and interesting should
help, too.

There are Linux users who don't take the time to learn the
command line or how to use a text editor. Then they run into
problems of one kind or another and their lack of background
knowledge makes for a very frustrating experience, even more so
if they're trying to get important work done in a hurry. I
feel sorry for those people and I would suggest trying not to
become one of them.

I would say that this is true for any new OS and that Linux
isn't unique in this case. I'm by no means a command line guru in
Linux, but I can use Thunderbird, Firefox, Libre Office and so on
just like I could use their equivalents in Windows, with no need
to resort to the command line.

Linux is not for everyone and probably never will be. That's
fine, but it may just be the right system for you. People
discover Linux and like it, or they're introduced to it in
their work or education. That's how the community grows.

I would agree Linux isn't for everyone, just as Windows or Mac
isn't for everyone either. Distros like Ubuntu and work by
companies like Canonical, make Linux a perfectly suitable desktop
replacement. Obviously, knowing the command line and shell
scripting may help, but you could say the same thing about
Windows and Power Shell. I don't consider it a prerequisite at
all for using Linux.

manual is at

Log bugs and feature requests at http://bugzilla.gnome.org Find
out how to help at http://live.gnome.org/Orca/HowCanIHelp