[orca-list] brl.tty acting differently under gnome/orca than on the terminal

Hi folks,
This isn't so much a question, as an observation.
I've recently started using my BrailleNote bt32 as a display and, in
reading the documentation for brl.tty and the BN, I understood I could
go in to input modes and use the bn keyboard to inbput text. This
never worked in gnome, or even in the virtual terminal.
But just now, when I--embarrassed here--discovered the real terminal,
and got speakup running, all of a sudden, I can use the bt keyboard
and it works!
Very interesting!
Rusty