[orca-list] maybe OT, help with speakup-espeakup?

Hi folks,
Under ubuntu 13.4, I have installed espeakup, and speakup.
Butn when I type the command espeakup, I get the following message:
unable to open the soft synth device, no such file or directory.
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, or what I haven't done yet?

espeakup --help
doesn't give me any clew as to the soft synth.
Do I also need to install the speechd-up, the interface between
speekup and speech dispatcher?

Thanks!