Re: [orca-list] Do I always need a graphical server/interface?

Tony Baechler <tony baechler net> wrote:

First, I wouldn't say "everybody" is moving towards systemd.  For one
thing, it requires a lot more resources than the other init systems,
specifically DBus which makes it unsuitable for small systems with low
power and memory.  I'm thinking of ARM in particular.  The only
"everybody" I know of who has for sure switched to systemd and/or intends
to do so permanently is Fedora and Red Hat.  I must confess that I don't
follow most other distributions except Debian and Ubuntu, so I don't know
about Arch and Gentoo.

Arch has already switched; OpenSUSE has either switched or is in transition; I
don't know about Gentoo; Debian offers it as an option and will probably need
to continue to do so because GNOME is starting to depend on it.

DBus is moving into the Linux kernel as well, which will make it faster and
may have implications for AT-SPI and Orca. Apparently, the plan is to submit a
DBus module for inclusion in the mainline before the end of the year.