Re: [orca-list] Do I always need a graphical server/interface?

Thomas Ward <thomasward1978 gmail com> wrote:
Yeah, that is an option. You can configure your Linux system to run in
run level 3, IE boot to a text console, and only load Gnome when you
want a graphical environment and applications like Firefox or
LibreOffice. Otherwise use Speakup on the console for basic operation
if performance means that much to you.

That's what I do, but not for performance reasons. Since I spend most of my
time working within a terminal environment anyway, there isn't much point
running it on top of Gnome. I use Emacs, the shell, and terminal-based
applications heavily, plus Firefox for Web browsing. LibreOffice is available
if I need it, like Firefox, thanks to the wonderful work invested in Orca and
accessibility. Usually, though, I just use LibreOffice as a file conversion
tool from the shell prompt, as in:
loffice --headless --convert-to html filename.docx
and I do all of my writing in Emacs AUCTeX mode (or in HTML if I'm writing for
the Web).