[orca-list] archlinux and various desktops

Hi,

I've been trying to get arch working with a desktop environment for a
while, I've tried both gnome and XFCE. I can get gnome installed and
start it with startx, and can sometimes log in with gdm, it starts
gnome-shell and works normally. However I can't figure out how to
configure gdm to start orca at login, I've googled around but all the
information I've found is very outdated and doesn't help. I also heard
that gnome-fallback is disabled as of 3.8, and I don't much like
gnome-shell, so decided to try XFCE and LXDE. I installed XFCE along
with pulseaudio and libcanberra to get sound. I can start orca with
alt-f2, but it will not read anything except firefox when I launch it
from the run box. Apparently you're supposed to be able to start
xfce4-popup-menu and it will bring up the menu, it hasn't worked for
me though, and I imagine by results will be similar with LXDE. Any
help with this would be greatly appreciated.