[orca-list] Gnome Conventions

        I think I know now why I am having so much trouble with
the vinux/gnome installation I am trying to perform. Firstly,
the system appears to be working and talking exactly as it
should. The problem has always occurred after I got in to the
preferences button and began setting the shell parameters such
as type of keyboard, time/date and a few other things. That
always has worked.

        After reading some more documentation, it appears that
the Preferences application doesn't automatically exit or
present you with some sort of button or link that says "Done,
Finished, etc." Is this correct? I saw a "quit" button but that
means to quit orca, not that one is through setting preferences
for now.

        If that is all true, then so far, the problem is simply
with what happens versus what I expected to happen.

        I thought the fact that there was no positive
termination of the Preferences window meant I had not entered
some key parameter so I kept looking for more things to set.
Everything was either set the way I need it to be set or I was
able to set it correctly as I went through.

        Part of this is I am paranoid about this particular
computer as I had nothing but technical problems with earlier
versions of ubuntu and speech. Orca just never ran or would fail
to do much of anything if one happened to get it to say,
"Welcome to Orca."

        I really thank those on this list for the answers I have
gotten so far. If what I was saying earlier is correct, then I
think I will have a working  Orca shell later today.

Martin