From: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Janina
Sajka
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 10:57 PM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Revamped explanation of problems relating to lack
of speech accessability

Albert:

You should have Speakup in Fedora 19. I'm using it all day long.

Can you say more about what's not working since your upgrade? Also, how did
you upgrade? Have you checked that the kernel you're running includes the
staging modules for the Linux kernel as this is where the Speakup module
lives?

Janina

Albert Sten-Clanton writes:
Not sure this is worth noting here, but thanks to Bill Acker I did
have Speakup working on Fedora 17 and 18.  (Upgrading to 19 gave me
problems I don't yet know how to fix, one result being no Speakup.)
Anyway, though it worked, the lag between reading keystroke and the
speech output it was meant to give me could be as long as a second.  I
think this was especially true when moving from capital leter to
capital letter, or from small to capital, but it also happened when I
read up or down a line.  Were it not for some considerable advantages
with Speakup, I might have stuck to using Orca in a terminal--but that has
its notable problems as well.

Al