Re: [orca-list] Revamped explanation of problems relating to lack of speech accessability

OK, fair enough. I guess what one considers jumping through a bunch of hoops is subjective.

On 08/06/2013 10:23 AM, Alex Midence wrote:
Did that.  I recompiled espeak to use pulse by editing the makefile
accordingly.  Still had issues.  That did wonders for Emacspeak, for
instance.  It still gave me pure golden silence the minute I logged into
Gnome though.  That's not portaudio.  That's pure pulse.  Clever solution I
read some people were doing was logging into console with a different user
name.  By then, I was already using pulse-free Debian and didn't need to do
that but, it reinforces my point that you have to jump through a bunch of
hoops to get Pulse to do the sort of things I need it to do.  Those hoops
are nonexistent with it out of the equation.

Alex M

-----Original Message-----
From: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of
Christopher Chaltain
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 9:27 AM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Revamped explanation of problems relating to lack
of speech accessability

I had some of the problems you described in the console prior to the release
of vinux 4, and I was able to resolve them by recompiling eSpeak to use
PulseAudio instead of PortAudio when PulseAudio is installed.
It's true I had to recompile eSpeak to fix the issues with lag and dropping
syllables, but the fact that I did it by taking PortAudio out of the
equation tells me that PulseAudio shouldn't be blamed for this behavior. I
believe this is how eSpeak is built for Vinux 4 now, i.e.
using the runtime option instead of PortAudio, which is why these problems
don't exist in Vinux 4 using PulseAudio.