Re: [orca-list] Revamped explanation of problems relating to lack of speech accessability

I used two different methods to get Speakup and Orca cohabitating with PulseAudio's user mode in Ubuntu and Vinux before Luke provided his ConsoleKit package. One method was just to log into a console as root and then su to my user ID. Another was to run sudo speechd-up in a terminal on the desktop and then log into my user ID in a console. I don't consider either method to be extremely difficult. Your first statement also made it seem like it was not possible as opposed to just difficult.

I've only used PulseAudio systems in the last few years, and I haven't found it that complicated. I don't have experience with a pure alsa system to compare it to though, so you may be right in that I don't know what I'm missing. From the posts I've seen, which I haven't read too deeply, it seems like it takes a bit of work to install a system without PA on it though.

I'm curious, on a pure alsa system, can I control the volume of each audio stream like I can with my Ubuntu systems where I have PA running?