If you are being critical inorder to provide some inputs, then it is more than welcome.  Just make sure that the comparisons are justified and we can achieve some thing by understand the reasons rather than blindly following some thing.
happy hacking.
Krishnakant.

On 09/01/2012 09:24 PM, Jason Miller wrote:
Meant to send here button enter on wrong selection in menu. *oops*

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jason Miller <hobbgoblin79 gmail com>
Date: 1 September 2012 11:45:44 AM EDT
To: Glenn <glennervin gmail com>
Subject: Re: [orca-list] eMacs key bindings

Hello,

That's kind of an unfair statement to use. First off, Emacs isn't the only use of Linux for the blind. There are things like speakup with espeakup or speechdup, or Orca as well. There's also distros like Vinux which go through a logn process of setting up key bindings, custom scripts and several other modifications that go in to make the use as painless, and seamless as possible. Not to mention other custom distros that are working on accessibility, and the fact that things like Orca and Speakup are part of the out of the box solution for some mainstream distributions.

There's also the fact that not *everyone* wants JFW. If that were the case, then readers for Windows like NVDA, and Window Eyes wouldn't exist, due to IP infringement, or accessibility for Linux and Mac would be nil as well. If you're comparing Word Perfect for custom bindings, then you should be interested to know that either through accessibility settings, or through minimal scripting (which in my eyes, is much easier to understand than JFW scripting), you can set up custom key assignments, and have anything scripted, and customized to your liking. One last thing you probably don't realize, is that with certain, if not most distributions, key assignments are pretty similar. Alt + F4 to shut down programs, CTRL + S for saving, CTRL + W to shut down windoes, ALT + D in firefox to get to the address back, backspace to back out of a folder to the previous, I could go on a long while with same key assignments.

Finally, using the comparison of being able to use it in your sleep, that is something many people can say about whatever distro or screen reader they use. I haven't even been a true Linux user half as long as a lot of these individuals, and I can do most tasks in my sleep, without thinking twice, and that's coming from a JFW and windows world.

Last thing. Not every blind individual that uses windows is a JFW user, so people coming from things like NVDA, or Window Eyes, that I've known, don't seem to have much trouble at all converting. Sure, you would have to learn a few new things, but tel me that isn't true about any package change, even if it's from an older version of JAWS, or Window Eyes, to the current stable. If you want to see people get upset, complain, and have to "learn a whole bunch more" that they aren't used to, look at the support forums and lists for JFW and such over the past couple years. Accessibility in one program breaking, while advertised functionality for new commands they have to learn not being there.

I guess one final thought afterall. If you are going to complain aboue Emacs, then you should probably go to the relevant list for that. This is the orca list, and Orca and Emacs are two totally different software packages. That being said, please when you make comparisons, make sure the right things are being compared, it helps cut down on confusion.

--
Jason Miller
Vinux PR Coordinator