Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu 12.04 live DVD and orca/braille/speechsupport

(This is a forwarded answer to an off-list mail. I figured part of it might be of interest to others. Point is: Sonar is Ubuntu based and so they inherite bugs.)

Hi!
Well I can't check if my braille display is set in the orca preferences, since I'm running from a live DVD and don't get ANY output at all. The braille display simply hangs at that startup message. No luck on the terminal or anywhere else. No luck killing/starting/restarting/stopping either with the sudo service command or manually using killall and brltty directly. Also no sound at all. I just let the Ubuntu 12.04 live/install dvd boot without any interference at all. I readsomewhere, that I should hear a drum roll or something like it. No go! - It would be very poor quality of Ubuntu if my soundcard isn't supported for such stunts. It's an m-audio Delta 1010LT and supported for 10 years without a hitch. I know, that archlinux had problems in their first speaking installers with that card, but it was easily fixed. And that was just after they started using espeak automatically for the console. So I guess that is it for Ubuntu derivatives, I'm going back to trusty old vanilla Debian. They are not as up-to-date, but Debian at least works with things, that should work since the stone ages. :-( - Yes, that is a bitter note of frustration there and me being cross with Ubuntu.
  Kind regards
          Julien

http://juliencoder.de/nama/music.html