Re: [orca-list] Sonar 12.10 is out

Hi Peter,

It sounds to me like the accessibility for GnomeShell is not turned
on. Did you try and reconfigure accessibility?

On 11/12/12, Peter Vágner <pvdeejay gmail com> wrote:
Hello,
Thanks for nice clear and usefull write up. It is a verry good reading
and the features and accessibility support it describes appear to be so
great that it made me to download this new sonar, so I can try it out in
a VM first.

I have booted sonar it played a greeting tone and orca came up tallking.
I did know that it originally booted into the gnome classic desktop. I
am targetting gnome shell at this time however I was curious
newertheless and explored the classic gnome as well.
There are several icons on the desktop and it is possible t use arrow
keys to navigate over them.
Hitting alt+F1 like we are used to from gnome 2 also opens a menu which
is fully accessible. Using alt+ctrl+tab to navigate over the pannels
works fine and using arrows to explore the menus works well too.

Then I have found a system menu and inside it a logout entry in the top
pannel. Logging out was accessible.

The fact login screen appeared is also signalled by the clear sound cue.
Hitting ctrl+s on the login screen starts orca and it is really amazing.
In ubuntu 12.04 I was newer able to get this part working.

I can then tab to the session options button. there are three options on
this sonar live cd. Gnome, Gnome classic and gnome classic with no effects.
I have activated the first button saying gnome and then activated ok
button.
I then landed inside a password field on the login screen and hit the
enter key to log in.

The login sound greeted me and after a little while orca started up
tallking. However from here I was able to do nothing. Pressing windows+d
to go to the desktop did not work I assume because I have got no
feetback from orca. However focus definatelly went away from the orca
main window where it was prior to hitting windows+d. Using arrow keys to
navigate did not help. using shift+f10 to bring up the context menu did
not work in this situation as well. I have tried to press alt+f1, press
escape, press alt+ctrl+tab, alt+tab and various combination of these but
I was unable to get a speech out this. I was even unable to return back
to the accessible orca window. Pressing alt+F2 and blindly typing in
firefox followed by the enter key did not reviewed speech output either.

So I have decided to take another test drive, shutdown virtual machine
and booted sonar again. I havent explored classic desktop this time. I
have immediatelly logged out and then logged in using gnome.
I have not used windows+d to go to the desktop I have simply tried
alt+F1 and then typing in the search query. I was not getting spoken
feetback this time either. I then tried tabbing around, using arrow keys
to navigate, hitting ctrl+alt+tab but no speech again. I was able to
retun back to the orca window after hitting esc key and then alt+tab.
I am afraid I am doing something wrong or I am not following the
suggested reading to the letter because really I can get no spoken
feetback.

Might the problem be that on my machine virtual machine keyboard clashes
with running host machine? For example I am unable to perform shift+tab,
windows key alone and maybe some other keypresses.

Sorry for a negative posting but I am really getting afraid something is
wrong in my setup.

Greetings

Peter