Re: [orca-list] Flat Review passing keystrokes to applications

In Ubuntu 12.04 when using flat review in Groups and Accounts for to set an account for a new user, it crashes. Hopefully this also will be solved? Many thanks.
Milton
----- Original Message ----- From: "Joanmarie Diggs" <jdiggs igalia com>
To: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 3:17 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Flat Review passing keystrokes to applications

On 11/09/2012 08:54 AM, Dave Hunt wrote:
I notice this in GNOME/Orca 3.4.2; it's especially prominent in terminal
apps, but, that's where I use flat review the most.  Since I use laptop
layout, I can end up with a bunch of capital I and/or capital U
characters in input lines.  The passing-through doesn't happen all the
time, or immediately on start of the terminal.  I'm going to give the
new LXDE Sonar a try; will it happen there, as well?

My guess would be "yes, it is there as well."

When keys occasionally bleed through (as opposed to "are reliably passed
through") it is not a script or environment issue. It is also likely not
an Orca bug (though it might be). The reason I say this is because
Orca's decision w.r.t. passing keys through to the app tends to be
pretty consistent.

A while back a very nice change was made to AT-SPI2 which prevented lock
ups such as Orca hanging your system or an app hanging Orca. A side
effect of this was the introduction of key bleed through because AT-SPI2
now times out when an app (Orca or the app being accessed) seems
unresponsive. Mike Gorse greatly improved upon this within AT-SPI2 and
got rid of most of the bleed through. However, some clearly still remains.

Because the bleed through seems primarily to be in flat review, my guess
is that building up the flat review context is taking longer than the
AT-SPI2 timeout value. As such, improving the flat review code's
performance should improve this issue. I already made one change just
the other day which might help. That will go into the upcoming 3.6.2
release. And I will be analyzing and cleaning up the rest of the flat
review code.

Take care.
--joanie