Re: [orca-list] Problems with orca installation

Daniel Dalton <d dalton iinet net au> wrote:

Orca will not start.
I have to keep the old orca as well from debian installed, because of
dependencies, but this shouldn't matter (they are in different
locations). neither orca seems to work though.

I installed at-spi and atk as well.

Make sure you don't have any AT-SPI 1 packages lying around. You need
at-spi2-core
gir1.2-atspi-2.0
libatk-adaptor
libatk-adaptor-data
python-pyatspi2
and obviously all their dependencies. I hope I haven't left out any
components.

If you're updating orca in Debian, I have found that the best solution is to
download the sources of the Debian package, update the Orca sources and build
a new Debian package.

There is plenty of documentation about Debian packaging on the Web; I have
found the debian new maintainers' guide particularly helpful (see the
maint-guide package). The Debian wiki is also excellent.