[orca-list] Problems with orca installation

Hi,

I've attempted to build orca from source, on my debian testing machine
with gnome 3.

Originally orca was working quite well from the distro, but I was hoping
to test out the latest orca.

I followed the steps as per the install page. However, when I type
"orca" from a gnome-terminal I get this output.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/orca", line 40, in <module>
    from orca import debug
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/orca/debug.py", line 32, in <module>
    import pyatspi
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyatspi/__init__.py", line 78, in <module>
    import registry
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyatspi/registry.py", line 39, in <module>
    import Accessibility
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyatspi/Accessibility.py", line 15, in <module>
    from gi.repository import Atspi
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/__init__.py", line 23, in <module>
    from ._gi import _API, Repository
ImportError: could not import gobject (error was: ImportError('When using gi.repository you must not import
static modules like "gobject". Please change all occurrences of "import gobject" to "from gi.repository
import GObject".',))

Orca will not start.
I have to keep the old orca as well from debian installed, because of
dependencies, but this shouldn't matter (they are in different
locations). neither orca seems to work though.

I installed at-spi and atk as well.

Any suggestions as what to try would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Dan