Re: [orca-list] The great secret of building from source

Hello David,

I wouldn't go as far to say its a great secret. Only that many of us are busy, and writing up a step by step howto is time consuming. Especially, since we don't know how familiar you personally are with building apps from source, and what Linux distribution you are using, and if you are starting with fairly recent packages etc. However, in order to help I'll give you a brief outline of the steps involved.

First, make sure you are running a distribution with at least Gnome 3.4.0 or better. For this I recommend Ubuntu 12.04 as that's what I'll be using for my demonstration here.

Second, you need to install some development packages for grabbing and building the source.

sudo apt-get install git-core
sudo apt-get install gnome-common
sudo apt-get build-dep gnome-orca

If you are lucky this will grab most of the dependencies you will need to update to Orca latest. If not you will have to update ATK, At-Spi, etc which I don't have the time currently to explain in detail.

Finally, you need to clone the latest Orca sources from git, build, and install it.

git clone git://git.gnome.org/orca
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
make
sudo make install

The steps I give above grab the latest Orca sources, builds, it, and over writes the Orca that comes with Ubuntu by default. Don't do this on a production machine, and keep in mind this is extremely bleeding edge code not suited for day to day use for most people. If you are interested in stable versions I recommend grabbing the source packages from the Gnome ftp archives and build those from scratch instead although Ubuntu 12.04 now has Orca 3.4.2 available in the proposed updates so if you are interested in testing stable releases that's the way to go.

Cheers!