Re: [orca-list] More on desktop shells, 2D vs 3D, and the future.

Hi Luke,
I'll just quickly comment on the KDE part ;)

Onsdag 9. mai 2012 15.56.26 skrev Luke Yelavich:
Hi all,
KDE:
KDE uses the QT widget toolkit. I believe that KDE does use 3D rendering by
default, although this may be incorrect. It also may be possible to disable
3D graphics rendering, although again I am not 100% sure.

Whilst QT accessibility is improving, more work is needed to improve KDE's
accessibility, as KDE has many custom elements that need to be enabled for
accessibility. We will have accessible KDe applications before we have the
whole desktop accessible, which is still good enough, given our other
desktop shell choices.

KDE has logic to try to use 3D and automatically fall back to not using it.
The code base is the same, so there is no noticable difference between the
two. I can toggle the effects by a keyboard shortcut at runtime.

As for custom widgets, my testing shows that surprisingly many just work. Some
features will be "invisible" to the screen reader, such as KDE adding a small
clear button in line edits. But the edit will still works as normal, just the
clear button not be discovered.

And yes, there is still a long way to go, let's start today ;)

Cheers
Frederik