Re: [orca-list] More on desktop shells, 2D vs 3D, and the future.

It is true that 2D desktop shells will and are going away, they have to.
If they don't then we are under utilizing the new and powerful hardware and will not be competitive to proprietary OS. The only thing I wish to know is that will it be possible to disable the fading and other such effects if one chooses to do so?
I guess it should be possible and many people will still use that feature.
Secondly, if Unity 3D is going to be the default and the only option available apart from gnome shell, it is not a bad thing. If the said 3D shell is made as accessible as Unity 2D then we have an added bonus of working on the same rich looking shell which even sighted uses will use.
In this era of integration it is very important to do so.
But the only question is how complex is it going to be for making Unity 3D accessible as much as Unity 2d? As such 12.04 is LTS so I guess we can keep using Unity 2D till 3d becomes accessible, provided we have some thing to look at by Ubuntu 13.04 at least. We still don't have a developers handbook for Orca, but if some thing is available for helping out Unity 3D accessibility, then thee will be so many who will be willing to help out.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.