Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu 12.10 and beyond, Unity 2D will no longer be maintained.

On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 08:46:47PM PDT, Alex Midence wrote:
What of the new devices coming out that are Android phones that become Ubuntu desktops when plugged in?  I
figured they'd use Unity 2d and that 3d would be too much for that hardware.  I also hoped it'd be Unity 2d
since so much progress was made on its accessibility.

I am pretty sure that Ubuntu on android does not have any of the required accessibility components as part of
the image, although I could be wrong. Unity 2D is convenient for that hardwar,e because Unity 3D and its
underlying stack does not yet have full support for OpenGLES, the 3D rendering technology that is used on
embedded hardware. Unity 2D will also be supported fo r5 years as part of 12.04 LTS, and by that time, most
manufacturers of phones have dropped support for many devices and have moved onto bigger and better things.

Luke