Re: [orca-list] screen magnifier

Hello, Hector (and anyone else who wants to use the GNOME Shell Magnifier).

I have been using the Compiz eZoom plugin under Unity 2D for magnification, but, as mentioned by Luke, thee are some bugs. I have noticed some Unity crashes and other problems, but this works for the most part for me.

If you want to use the GNOME Shell Magnifier, here is what you would end to do for those who are curious.

1. If GNOME Shell is not installed, install it using the following command:

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

2. You will have to log out and then login to the GNOME session on the login screen.

3. Once in GNOME Shell, press ALT+F2 and enter the following command:

gnome-control-center

NOTE: If you are unable to see your screen without magnification, I have found that the GNOME Control Center is quite accessible using Orca.

4. In the GNOME Control Center window, there should be an icon labelled "keyboard. click on this icon to open up the Keyboard Settings window.

5. The Keyboard Settings window contains two tabs--Typing and Shortcuts. Switch to the Shortcuts tab.

6. The shortcuts tab will display a window divided into two panes--the left pane will contain categories such as Launchers, Navigation, Universal access, etc, and the right pane contains labelled keyboard shortcuts for different actions. Select the Universal Access category in the left pane.

7. The first three actions listed under the Universal Access category are as follows: Turn zoom on or off, Zoom in, and Zoom out. Here is what I have my shortcuts set to:

Turn zoom on or off: CTRL+ALT+M
Zoom in: ALT+Up
Zoom out: ALT+Down

NOTE: If using Orca, you will have to arrow through the right pane to the column where you set the keyboard shortcuts. To set a keyboard shortcut, press the SPACEBAR and then enter your desired combination of shortcut keys.

8. Unless I missed something, there are no apply or close buttons for this window (nor are there any for many of the different settings windows which I have used under the GNOME Control Center). Once you have your shortcuts set, just press ALT+F4 to close out of the settings window; everything should be ready for use now.

This works out very well, and it is in fullscreen by default. I have really enjoyed my experience under GNOME Shell with the magnifier.

I hope that this will be of some help to those of you who are wanting to work with the GNOME Shell Magnifier.

If I can be of any further help, please let me know.

Take care.