Re: [orca-list] Building Orca for python3

On 06/23/2012 03:47 PM, VojtÄch PolÃÅek wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to run orca master with python 3 as well on my Ubuntu 12.04.
But it compalins about brltty and brlapi being a low version.
Probably libbrlapi is the culprit. Do I have to compile this my self? I
have python-brlapi libbrlapi-dev and libbrlapi0.5 installed.

As stated in the original announcement:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/orca-list/2012-June/msg00335.html

<quote>
* Braille support will similarly require BrlAPI for Python 3. Which,
  last time I checked doesn't exist. But back when I started this work,
  I gave everyone the heads-up that this is coming down the pike. So
  they know and I believe they will be tackling this soon. Checking into
  this is next on my list.
</quote>

In other words, for now, if you must have braille, I'm afraid you cannot
test Orca master yet.

I debated long and hard about this before committing the changes to
master. The reason I decided to go ahead is two-fold:

1. The BrlTTY project lead indicated that he'd be able to work on this
   after his 4.4 release.
2. People who do not require braille to test can begin testing now.
   And it is in the best interest of all Orca users that this change
   gets a bunch of testing so we don't have bugs which go undetected.

Take care.
--joanie