Re: [orca-list] Problems With Sound in Ubuntu 12

Thomas Ward <thomasward1978 gmail com> wrote:

I don't understand why an older release of Ubuntu will work fine with
the sound card, an AC-97, and if I put Ubuntu 12 on it acts like the
sound card is dead. I have to have someone manually go in and reset
the volume controls to hear it, and the next time I reboot all the
levels go back to 0. Its driving me slightly nuts.

When you change the volume and shut down the machine, the new settings should
be automatically saved in /var/lib/alsa/asound.state unless Ubuntu are doing
something unusual with their audio configuration.

If you're running Pulse Audio per session, the settings are in ~/.pulse and
should be saved as soon as you change them using pacmd, pactl or, presumably,
Gnome tools.