Re: [orca-list] interfaces in ubuntu

Hi Andrea,

Right now the most accessible graphical user interface for Ubuntu
users is Unity 2D. As of Ubuntu 12.04 most of the accessibility issues
with Unity 2D have been resolved and it is a fairly decent and
accessible graphical user environment for those wishing to use Orca.

However, Gnome Shell 3.4 isn't bad accessibility wise. I use Gnome
Shell myself, its got its accessibility issues, but it is functional
from an accessibility standpoint. So it is at least worth considering.

As to weather Unity 2D or Gnome 3.4 is better that is a personal
choice. As I said if accessibility isyour number one goal than Unity
2D would serve you better. If long term support and a more universal
interface is your goal than Gnome Shell is a better choice because
Unity 2D is slated to be scrapped and come Ubuntu 12.10 you'll
probably want to use Gnome until the 3d version of Unity is as
accessible as Gnome or Unity 2D.

As for the bug with Metacity I have no idea why someone hasn't fixed
that one yet. That bug is extremely annoying, and for that reason
alone I've strongly considered going back to a prior release for my
personal use until someone fixes that bug. It makes Ubuntu 12.04
difficult to work with.

Cheers!