Re: [orca-list] the debian testing gnome-shell

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 07:57:32AM -0500, Alex Midence wrote:
I hesitate to uninstall something with so an important-sounding a name as
"gnome-core".  Wouldn't it bring the whole tower of cards a-crashing down?
No, since it's just a metapackage, i.e makes sure a subset of packages
it deems required are installed. Once the metapackage did its job, it
can safely be removed. For instance, I originally installed gnome-core,
but pulse was ppreventing me from doing other, more important things,
and I did not want the annoyance of gdm running all the time, so I
uninstalled the gnome-core metapackage, gdm, and all the pulse related
packages. As I said, you may have to edit speech-dispatcher config files
by hand to choose your preferred audio output, but that's pretty much
it.

HTH,
S.M.