[orca-list] orca not tracking insertions in libreoffice writer

before I learn how to file an orca bug let's find out if I'm doing
something *really* dumb.
Scenario: open an existing  .doc file via nautilus.
Make sure that "record" is checked and "show" is unchecked under the
changes submenu of the edit menu.
Now go to some point in the file and insert some characters. then hit
left arrow. For me it is as if the new characters were not there.
The character read by orca will be the one the cursor *would* have
been on if I had hit right-arrow the number of times equal to the
number of inserted characters.
Sighted assistance confirms the new characters  *are* there and, indeed, if I save
and come back the additions appear in the file.
This does not happen with deletions, orca agrees with libreoffice
writer that they've gone.

versions: orca compiled from git today
at-spi2-registryd compiled from git today.

soffice.bin (I presume the relevant program) from
libreoffice-core-3.5.3.2-3.fc17.x86_64

I started orca from emacspeak running on another console, it's only
complaint has been:

orca --version
3.5.3pre

orca
/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/gi/types.py:43: Warning: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)'
failed
  return info.invoke(*args, **kwargs)

any obvious error on my part?
thanks again