Re: [orca-list] MATE

Le dimanche 29 juillet 2012 à 13:18 +1000, Jason White a écrit :
Jean-Philippe MENGUAL <texou actux eu org> wrote:

I'm not trying to discourage you, but since it isn't packaged for Debian I
think you'll find installing it to be a challenge.

MATE is packaged for Debian. Mot in the official repo, yes, but is packaged. That's why I started testing it.
Only orca suitable isn't packaged, but building a single app isn't too problematic.

I think MATE (essentially a
fork of Gnome 2) is a dead end so far as development is concerned - most of
the action is in Gnome 3, Unity, XFCE 4.10, etc.

Jhy not, but if it can maintain the GNU/Linux interest for any Debian beginner user waiting for a more usable
Gnome3 in Debian, it worths to try. Although I'm asked to be tollerant, I do not admit some regressions in
some update. So if there are, personally I don't update. And for ordinary users, I try to workaround
regressions. Maybe only Debian is responsible, but it's for them I contribute: my only alternative plan today
is building gnome3 from scratch, it's not easy too.

I'm running Gnome 3.4 under Debian and while it has its annoyances, it's
basically usable for the task that matters - invoking applications.

Right. But for a basic user, things stay complicated. I've some other bugs to report, they are bugs and for
some stable release, it's not acceptable. If I defend free software as alternative to JAWS to have a good
accessible environment easy to handle, today I mention squeeze. In the future, I'll have more hesitation to
mention Wheezy. And I want to mention Wheezy, so I search solutions waiting for better.

Why Debian only? Because it's one of the 2 distros with an accessible and easy-to-use installer today. The
others imply, in my experiences, chrooting or deboostrap.

Regards,