From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Alex Midence
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2012 10:44 PM
To: herzog
Cc: robhill es co nz; 'orca-list'
Subject: Re: [orca-list] the speakupmodified dists from speakupmodified.org

The one word answer to your question is convenience.  Prior versions of
Ubuntu were not as accessible out of the box especially before Oneiric.  You
had to know what you were doing to get them to work right.  Vinux has all
the hard a11y stuff set up for you.  It depends on what you want out of your
Linux distro.  Just like any other flavor of Linux, I suppose.  As for
updating, I was always able to update my Vinux 3.0 based on Lucid without
too much fuss once I figured out that everything but the kernel could be
updated OK and that I needed to disable testing ppa's.  Once Vinux 3.2 came
along based on Natty, which had a 2.6.38 kernel in it, I didn't even have to
worry about the kernel but could update as normal without a hitch.  All I
had ot do was remove and reinstall speechd-up and I was back in business.

I don't use Vinux currently but, if I go back to it it will be so that I can
have a Linux distribution that has console speech and Gui speech using Pulse
Audio.  I also want Emacspeak to work well in it with Pulse.  And, I want
the very latest Orca as an installation candidate.  I will get none of those
things in Ubuntu proper for some time if ever without considerable tweaking
on my part.  Tweaking for which I don't always have the time or patience
working full time and with a wife and two small children with night time
college classes on top of that.  So, I guess I circle right back to where I
started--Convenience.

Alex M