Re: [orca-list] the speakupmodified dists from speakupmodified.org

We definitely agree on having found Emacs worth while to invest time and effort in. I frankly love the hell out of it and think it is the king of all editors and everything else a pale and shabby copy. However, the world, my friend, thinks we are weird and geekie for thinking this. It's never bothered me none. =)

Btw, alt back tick will also bring up the Emacs menus.

Alex M

On 7/9/2012 10:41 PM, mike wrote:
hi,

I most be one of the wierd ones when i started to use linux about 5 years
ago i refused to learn the gui. I I am in the webhosting and it field so
used a lot of command line tools in windows i am profesient in jfw nvda and
using the gui with orca under linux but perfure the cli any day. Just my two
cents worth.

-----Original Message-----
From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Christopher Chaltain
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2012 4:43 PM
To: ORCA-LIST gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] the speakupmodified dists from speakupmodified.org

I actually think we agree more than we disagree. I don't think the problem
is that the learning curve is too steep for Emacs but, as you say, there are
a lot of alternatives that work in a way more similar to what people are
used to, so why would they put up with the frustration of learning to use
Emacs just for text editing when Gedit does what they want, and it looks and
feels like the editors they're used to. I agree, in this case, they won't
learn Emacs, they'll stick with Gedit. As we both said, I think a lot of it
has to do with whether you think it's worth going up that learning curve or
not. I might not learn Emacs just for text editing, but when I figure in
DirEd mode, the shell buffer, Org mode and so on, I think it's well worth
it.

I think of some of the applications I've learned to use over the years, like
Qwitter, VI, mutt and probably more and these all are not conventional or
standard interfaces, but I learned them anyway. Also, moving from JAWS to
NVDA to Orca required some serious adjustments, but again I thought it was
worth it. I don't have anything but anecdotal evidence, but I don't think
learning Emacs was any harder than some of these other applications.

I agree people get used to conventions like control+x, control+c and so on,
but I claim they aren't any more intuitive than control+y, control+w and the
Emacs equivalents. In fact, I think once you get used to marking and cutting
and pasting text in Emacs, it's hard to understand why other editors and
operating systems don't follow similar conventions.

It's interesting that you mention the alt key, but on my Ubuntu system, the
alt key doesn't do anything for me. I use the F10 key which brings up the
menu in my GUI applications as well as the menu in Emacs.
Granted, this is the exception and not the rule, and the menus work a bit
differently in Emacs than they do in GUI applications, but you can still use
it to find a command you didn't know existed or remind you how to use a
command you forgot how to use.