Re: [orca-list] First time trying linux

This discussion reminds me of the first time I tried linux. Ubuntu was around version 6… it was back around
2007. I downloaded it and booted up on a vmware machine. I had to follow the instructions to navigate through
the first part without speech. I pressed alt f2… typed orca, and was immediately presented with that command
line that I had met in Mac OS X, and somewhat feared. The next several days I spent sorting through online
documentation, trying to install speech dispatcher to make orca more stable, and trying to get a bleeding
edge version of firefox to replace the one that came with the distribution, so that I could access the
internet.

Yeah I have to admit having it come up speaking from the get go makes things easier if you are a newby
(though vinux did not do this for me on my acer), but I have to admit, this introduction through vinux really
has left me wanting more. The almost absolute instability of the GUI, which constantly gets hung up, has sent
me running for the console, and looking up command line tools to replace the Gnome Panel.

It's a good motivator… not necessarily a matter of sink or swim anymore, but a matter of either swim, or
accept a low functioning system.

Regards
Justin Harford