Re: [orca-list] First time trying linux

Hi Andy,

Well, it is true that Vinux is running behind the other distributions
when it comes to the latest and greatest versions of packages, but I
also know its both stable and new users probably aren't concerned with
bleeding edge yet. I feel getting a stable and very accessible version
of Linux on a new users system takes presidents over weather they have
the latest version of LibreOffice, Firefox, etc.

For example, just over the last week or so I've seen several messages
on how to switch Ubuntu 11.10 over to the 2d version of Unity so they
can get maximum accessibility out of the Unity desktop.  That might be
fine for someone like myself who has used Ubuntu Linux since version 6
or so, but I don't think a new user should have to learn to setup
Orca, reconfigure the desktop environment, and learn both Orca and
Linux all at once. Vinux is a nice compromise where the accessibility
is already setup and someone can learn Orca and Linux without being
forced to know from day one how to get everything up and running with
accessibility before they learn the OS and screen reader.

To me its a choice of starting someone out at the shallow end of the
pool, teach them to swim, and work there way to the deep end, or just
throw them head long into the deep end of the pool and tell them to
sink or swim. I can say that no one really likes being tossed into the
deep end of the pool and being forced to sink or swim from day one.

HTH