Re: [orca-list] Orca 3.2 [Ubuntu 11.10] fails to read messages marked as "read"

Hello, Andy.

As far as the shortcut keys go, in Thunderbird CTRL+SHIFT+L will reply only to the mailing list. I just checked it, and CTRL+SHIFT+R will perform a "Reply To All". I get it mixed up sometimes. :)

Hope all is well.

On 01/02/2012 10:01 AM, Andy B wrote:
I will look at the version in a short while. I have no idea why my email to
the list goes to each person instead of the list. It appears that I have to
press control+shift+r in Outlook in order to get replies to the list. They
get sent to the person in private as well, but I don't know how to fix this.
A gmail thing maybe?

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Chaltain [mailto:chaltain gmail com]
Sent: Monday, January 02, 2012 12:55 PM
To: Andy B; ORCA-LIST gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Orca 3.2 [Ubuntu 11.10] fails to read messages
marked as "read"

I'm not sure what version of Thunderbird comes with Ubuntu 11.10 any more.
I'm running Thunderbird 8.0 on Ubuntu 11.10, but I may have updated it since
I installed Ubuntu 11.10. I'd suggest going into Help
->  About to see what version you're running. It's probably not that
important, since I'm sure this problem would exist in a whole range of
Thunderbirds, but it may help other on the list diagnose the problem or
determine when it was introduced.

I'm not sure why you say reading a message in the preview pane is annoying.
This is how I read email messages. The F6 key works for me. I use it to jump
between my list of folders, the list of messages in that folder and the body
of the message in the preview pane. I like using the
F6 key since it takes me right to the beginning of the message body. I don't
remember how reading a message in it's own window works any more.

I'm sure it takes just as long as reading a message in a separate window,
but I wouldn't say it takes longer, and I wouldn't say it's annoying. I'm
not sure why I ended up using the preview pane instead of reading each
message in it's own window. In Windows with NVDA I would read each message
in it's own window, but I must have had some reason for switching to just
using the preview pane in Ubuntu and Orca. I'm not saying there's anything
wrong with using a separate window, it's just that I don't seem to be having
the problems or the annoyances you're having with the preview pane.

I wonder if the problem you're seeing with not being able to read messages
marked as read is related to reading each message in it's own window. I
wouldn't think so, since I think you'd see this problem whether a message
was marked as read or not. If I get time later to change up my Thunderbird
settings, maybe I'll see if I have the same problem  or not.

Also, I'm not sure why you sent this message just to me. I copied the Orca
list on my reply since I think the information you provided on what version
of Thunderbird you're running might be useful in tracking down this problem.