Re: [orca-list] Different desktop environments

Hi there

I picked this message up on my iPhone, read a bit of the first part,
and immediately wanted to argue. but now that I have read the whole
thing, I thinkyou might have a bit of a point with the importance of
the GUI.

I would say that as a latex user, I find that I have had no trouble
moving from linux,2 to mac, to windows and back without any trouble.
On one hand there is a learning curve with a markup system like latex,
but on the other, once you have learned it, you never have to chnage
the way you write. A bull/bulleted list or a table of contents is done
exactly the same on this linux netbook as it is done on my macbook, as
it is done on my parents' windows xp desktop sitting here in front of
me. As an academic who writes a lot, I find this an important factor.
I don't need to learn a new menu structure, or worry about key
commands or different levels of accessibility from system to system as
least with word processing.

I think you have a point about employment though, but I would just add
that it probably depends on the job that you are taking. Probably
knowing how to do both ways would be helpful. I also suspect that, as
far as universality,  google docs is going to take the place of OO or
MS office, as it can be used on just about any system and the way of
using it is the same. (Lol if only I could get chrome and chromevox up
and running on this netbook ;) )

Glad to know that there are fellow latex users on this list. Latex has
truly revolutionized the way that I do wordprocessing.

Regards
Justin Harford