[orca-list] Orca startup oddities under Gnome 3

Experimentation has shown the following. Can others reproduce? I suspect a
bug.

If I start Orca by copying orca.desktop into ~/.config/autostart and then
invoking X, Orca starts up as it should. The Orca frame (with preferences
button) is presented.

If, however, I remove the orca.desktop file from ~/.config/autoconf and
instead set org.gnome.desktop.a11y.applications to true with gsettings, and
then start the desktop, Orca delivers its welcome message ("welcome to Orca")
but the Orca frame (preferences etc.) is not present. I can still access
applications though.