Re: [orca-list] Manually setting up Gnome or Unity in Archlinux, Gentoo or Debian

If you're only issue with Ubuntu is that it comes up muted, then you
should be able to fix that by using your dedicated media keys, if you
have them. Furthermore, the sound will only be muted when booting off of
the Live CD and then the first boot after your install. After that, you
shouldn't have any problems with your audio being muted at startup. I
had that problem with Maverick and Natty, and I just did the above. I
was able to install both without sighted help, and once I turned up the
volume after the install everything was fine. Fortunately, I didn't have
this problem at all with Precise.