[orca-list] Manually setting up Gnome or Unity in Archlinux, Gentoo or Debian

Dear,

I have just bought a new machine. I thought of installing Ubuntu 12.04 on it, but the live CD apparently doesn't fit well on the machine, e.g., sound comes up muted. In addition, I like more customizabe distros, and I have installed ArchLinux and Gentoo in the past.

I want to set up a minimal desktop, not necessarily for daily use, but mainly for maintenance purposes. For example, I want the GParted partition editor, since console apps like parted cannot resize NTFS partitions. When I last tried ArchLinux and Gentoo, it was about time of Gnome 2.30 and 2.32 and I had some problems I couldn't solve. I didn't know how to configure Orca for administrative tasks, I couldn't make Orca speak on GDM, and I didn't know how to make applications launch with root privileges when called from a menu, like Ubuntu does, and instructions on the Orca site were outdated.

Thus, I'd like to know what is for the moment the best desktop you would indicate in terms of reliability and access with Orca, that is not hard to set up in a distro like ArchLinux or Gentoo or Debian? Do you know the current necessary steps to make applications like GParted to launch seanlessly as root, like in Ubuntu?

Thank you,
Cleverson