Re: [orca-list] check this out

On 8/24/12, Christopher Chaltain <chaltain gmail com> wrote:
I know some people resent the 6 month Ubuntu release cycle, but there
are good reasons for it. Maybe with continuous integration testing, you
could get the same stability out of a rolling release, but I think the 6
month Ubuntu release cycle tries to get new, stable and tested releases
out there in a timely fashion.

I'm not one of them.  I have no problem with their release cycle
although I'll admit a rolling release like Debian has would be nice.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this message, but I get the impression
that your perception is that Luke and others working on accessibility
are dragging their feet or not taking into account the desires of the
disabled community.

Yes, you are reading too much into it.  My comments were not personal
attacks.  It is amazing how easily people take things personally
sometimes.  I was providing an answer to a question:  Why make a new
distro when there are old ones out there already?  Answer:  The new
thing is meeting a need which what is currently out there is not.
Plain and simple.  I don't think Luke and anyone associated with him
which you mentioned is foot dragging.  I do, however think that there
are times when a more agile approach is called for with less red tape
as it makes it easier for rapid innovation.  Whatever is causing it,
things are not happening fast enough to suit some members of the
comunity.  And, since this is the bazaar and not the cathedral, the
community has taken steps to do something about it.  Nobody railed
against it, criticized, demeaned, defamed or otherwise express
themselves in a pejorative manner towards Ubuntu, Luke, Vinux and
anyone else.  They simply went out and fixed what they perceived
broken and, lo and behold, others agreed it was broken and received it
well.  That is all.  It is much the same thing Tony Sales did when he
started Vinux.  He saw something that needed fixing and fixed it mcuh
to the chagrin and in spite of the none too tactfully expressed views
of others who asked the self same question:  Why make something new
when there's something already out there?  It's frequently the case
with innovation and improvements.  I wonder if some ancient forebear
of ours muttered darkly into his beard one fine day holding his trusty
stone axe while glaring at another  man with a copper one.  "Whadya
need that one for?  Just come down to the quarry and sharpen the one
you got or make a new one outa flint same's we always done?"

 I know Luke and others mostly give of their spare
time to work on Orca, Vinux and so on.
And we appreciate those efforts, we really do.  The out of the box
accessibility of Precise is a monument to their skill, dedication and
good intentions.  It's a wonderful distribution which needs very
little customization to work for someone using a screen reader.

Alex M

 If progress seems slow, it's
because of lack of resources and not lack of effort. This is why I'd
like to see more cooperation and less fragmentation. Of course there
will be some fragmentation, and new distributions and projects will
spring up if others aren't meeting our needs, but this doesn't need to
be the norm.