Re: [orca-list] check this out

I guess I'm not sure we can't have everything. Who knows where Vinux
would be right now if it had more resources. Maybe it would already be
out, we'd have the choice between multiple desktop managers and all the
other bells and whistles. Like I said, this is the nature of open
source, so we can't complain, but that doesn't also mean we can't work
to pool resources where possible.

My understanding is that the Vinux plan is to keep moving up to newer
accessibility infrastructure packages and leverage the interim Ubuntu
releases. As we have with Vinux today, this could give us the best of
both worlds, a stable LTS and a newer releases with newer packages and a
newer AT infrastructure. Of course, this is all contingent upon
resources, and it's best to check with the Vinux development team for
the real story.

I know some people resent the 6 month Ubuntu release cycle, but there
are good reasons for it. Maybe with continuous integration testing, you
could get the same stability out of a rolling release, but I think the 6
month Ubuntu release cycle tries to get new, stable and tested releases
out there in a timely fashion.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this message, but I get the impression
that your perception is that Luke and others working on accessibility
are dragging their feet or not taking into account the desires of the
disabled community. I know Luke and others mostly give of their spare
time to work on Orca, Vinux and so on. If progress seems slow, it's
because of lack of resources and not lack of effort. This is why I'd
like to see more cooperation and less fragmentation. Of course there
will be some fragmentation, and new distributions and projects will
spring up if others aren't meeting our needs, but this doesn't need to
be the norm.