Re: [orca-list] Fwd: Re: check this out

On 08/24/2012 01:49 PM, Alex Midence wrote:
LTS is not for everyone.  And excluding newbies and others from a
recent version of Ubuntu by making it difficult and time-consuming for
them to get it accessible is not the way to go either.

Yes this is why I made a spin of Sonar. It is a quick and easy way for someone to try out the latest Ubuntu.
   I understand
why you would rise to Unity's defense and why you'd feel this way
about Ubuntu and Unity.  I also respect the fact that you are content
to continue using Unity 2d until Unit 3d catches up to it.  There are
some, however, who feel frustrated when they see postings and e-mails
from different places like the Orca list and KDE accessibility among
others announcing advancements in accessibility with new version of
Gnome, At-spi, Orca, QT-At-Spi, ETC. and how great it is and how
awesome it is that such progress has been made and so forth and then,
when you go to try and avail yourself of this, it turns out you can't
use these new enhancements because you are in a version of Ubuntu that
will not be making these available.  So, you muddle along with your
system and the bits that are still broken for you but that work just
peachy for everyone else wishing that you could find the time to learn
how to install it from source or find a way to upgrade or switch
distros ETC.  Then, you hear that these enhancements will be available
in an upcoming version of Ubuntu.  Hooray, you think.  And then, oops,
sorry, we decided that the accessible progress made thusfar with the
interface will be set back a bit because we are canning the one that
worked for you and enhancing the one that didn't which, incidentally,
is several stages behind where we were to begin with.  It's positively
teeth gnashing. So ...  I applaud the initiative shown by Jonathan

Yes this is why the default desktops are Gnome-Shell and Gnome-Classic.
here who decided he wasn't going to stand for it and wasn't going to
allow this to be the case for others if he could help it in some small
way.  I confess I would've jumped for joy had it been Vinux as that
distro has and will forever have a special place in my affections but,
their goals are different than they were a couple of years ago, I
think and it just didn't happen this time.  That could also be a
reason he didn't decide to merge himself with that project.

I'm not in competition with Vinux. Vinux has their place with lts and Sonar will try and release every 6 months like Ubuntu.
   His
agenda might've been different from theirs or he may just not have had
the time to commit to anything more extensive than just using
remastersys to push out a modified spin of mainstream Ubuntu without
all the bels and whistles.  He may not have the time to support and
field questions from a large group of newcomers to Linux he might
otherwise feel obliged to answer.  Who knows?  Perhaps he will say.
Regardless, again, I'm glad he's make this available and where before
I meant to try his distro out in a casual "i'll get around to it" sort
of way, I'm now going to make a bonified point of trying it this
weekend.  You know you're on to something when you kick over an ant
hill.  lol

There is a community of general accessibility using Free software over at

http://www.accessiblefreedom.org

There is a mailing list there and a wiki that is being worked on. Any questions about Sonar can be answered there or here on the Orca mailing list i have no problem with that either.

Alex M