Re: [orca-list] F123.org-sponsored work and Request for input: Braille scrolling and when to route the caret

Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs igalia com> wrote:

1. Scrolling in braille seems to me to be an awful lot like scrolling
   visually. In other words, if I am reading a document, I can leave the
   caret where it is and move the document's scrollbar to look visually
   before and after my current location and read the surrounding text.
   If I then want to move the caret to a new location, all I have to do
   is click with the mouse. But if I just wanted to look around and I do
   not click, the caret remains where it was. Shouldn't Orca work this
   way too, especially given the next item.

Yes, as others have suggested, this is how it should work. You could define an
option (bound to a command from the braille display) to toggle between this
behaviour and a mode in which the caret is repositioned, if that would prove
useful to some people.

2. Three words: Cursor routing keys. As I am scrolling around via my
   braille display, all I have to do to reposition the caret is press
   the key associated with the cell of interest. This is actually easier
   than clicking with the mouse. Given that one can explicitly and
   easily update the caret position, wouldn't it make more sense to only
   move the caret when the user has indicated the caret should be moved?

Yes, I think so.

this is excellent work.

A braille display command to switch between Grade II and computer braille
would be helpful too. In BRLTTY, this is equivalent to the commands to switch
between six-dot and eight-dot braille, thus it would be a matter of assigning
those commands to corresponding Orca functions to activate/deactivate Louis
translation.

Currently, it is not possible to activate focused user interface controls from
the braille display, but this would be desirable to support, since many more
interactions could then be completed without the user's hands having to leave
the display.