Re: [orca-list] F123.org-sponsored work and Request for input: Braille scrolling and when to route the caret

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 03:47:45AM EST, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Hey all.

First some awesome news: F123.org is supporting work to improve Orca
around its support for WebKitGtk content. Some of this work will happen
in Orca; most will happen in WebKitGtk. And all of it will get us much
closer to web-browsing and email client solutions that JustWork(tm) and
are much more performant than what we currently have. So thank you
Fernando Botelho and F123.org!!

One of the things I am fixing on the Orca side of the equation is
braille scrolling of WebKitGtk content, and that brings me to my request
for input:

Currently, Orca's braille scrolling is in general incomplete and
inadequate, sometimes working and sometimes not. But when it is working
we are automatically moving the caret. I am seriously questioning if
this is what we want to do for the following reasons:

<Snip>

I agree with your reasons, and think Braille scrolling should behave similar to how one scrolls through a
document visually, and only moves the caret when they want to move the caret.

Luke