Re: [orca-list] F123.org-sponsored work and Request for input: Braille scrolling and when to route the caret

Hi,

I use braille every day so, this strikes close to home for me.  I'm
really happy to see this in the works.

1.  Yes, scrolling with the braille should not move the active cursor
or caret.  The only time I have ever made an exception to this
practice is when I am proofreading a document in a wordprocessor.  I
like for my braille panning to move my caret in these situations
because it is faster than page down when I get to the bottom of my
screen.  I find that I loose my place a lot when I have to hit page
down instead of just moving the caret as I pan downwards.  For all
other situations, I am in complete agreement.

2.  Yes, cursor routing is a beautimous thing!  Again, when I am
proofreading, it's great to just hit the cursor routing key and have
the cursor hop right to where I have my finger.  When I am reading a
web page, the cursor routing key activates the link and makes me just
tickled pink!  Orca should have this functionality, I think.

3.  You are correct.  The user should have control over when they
change focus.  Dropdown menus such as the ones created by jQuery come
to mind.  Just having your mouse cursor over an object can cause the
behavior of the page to change.  So, you want to be in control of what
has focus and when.

What about a toggle switch to turn caret movement on and off in
conjunction with the braille display?  Jaws uses this feature.  It's
called braille follows active.  YOu toggle it on and every time you
pan downwards, the caret focus moves to the first character of the
line.  If you turn it off, you can move all over the place and not
affect where your cursor is unless you hit a cursor routing button.

Regards,
Alex M