Re: [orca-list] Pdf accessibility in Linux was Re: Trying Quantal Quetsal Alpha 3

Hi Alex and all,

It sounds to me like what we need here is for someone to write a
talking pdf viewer/reader. I really don't think creating such an
application would be all that difficult. After all, as has been
discussed there is an open pdf document standard used by a number of
open source applications. All we really need to do is create an
accessible graphical document reader using something like the GTK+ 3
toolkit, and then maybe wrap speech-dispatcher for speech output. If
this is of interest to anyone I think I'd be willing to start the
groundwork for such a talking pdf viewer. This would make pdf
documents just as accessible as for Windows and we wouldn't have to
depend on Adobe for a speech friendly viewer. Any thoughts?

Cheers!