Re: [orca-list] Pdf accessibility in Linux was Re: Trying Quantal Quetsal Alpha 3

----- Mensaje original -----
De: Alex Midence <alex midence gmail com>
Para: Donald Marang verizon net
CC: orca-list <orca-list gnome org>
Enviado: Jueves 2 de agosto de 2012 23:25
Asunto: [orca-list] Pdf accessibility in Linux was Re: Trying Quantal Quetsal Alpha 3

T hanks for that info, Don.  Bringing this to the list for anyone who
would care to chime in:

I remember seeing an application called Evince gtk which set it apart
from Evince.  Has anyone been able to gather whether or not it is any
more accessible than Evince proper?  Also, can anyone confirm that
what it does is just put up a picture of the text in the pdf document
instead of actual textual characters which a screen reader could read?
I never got around to testing it myself because Ubuntu wanted to yank
out Evince proper in order to replace it with Evince GTK.  Evince GTK
was not listed as a Gnome dependency whereas the original version of
it was and yanking it made my system want to go ahead and yank just
about all of Gnome with it.  As that was a production system, I did
not relish the prospect of breaking it just to satisfy my curiosity.

AFAIK, Evince GTK is just Evince without GNOME keyring support. PDF
accessibilty is a tricky business. There is a developer, Daniel García, who has been
working in adding basic PDF accessibilty to Evince.
As for Acroread, I am seriously considering contacting the
accessibility person at Adobe using the e-mail Don provides below.
Adobe has made some efforts in the past to get their documetns
accessible and they have succeeded very nicely in Windows.  I remember
how I used to dread pdf's about 10 years ago or so.  These days, it's
just another document type to me.  It would be nice if we could make
that happen for us in Linux as well.

Alex M