Re: [orca-list] unmuting sound on the Precise live environment

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 01:43:01AM EST, hussain wrote:
Hi. I've been wanting to try out Precise on my desktop, but I'm
hitting a snag. The live environment comes up with no sound, which
has happened with all previous ubuntu installations on my computer.
The problem seems to be that the volume is mute by default. I can't,
however, seem to change the volume with amixer. Attached is the
amixer output. Any help on this would be appreciated.

What audio hardware do you have in your system? If you can, please download and run
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh, and reply to me off list with either the URL to the output from the
script, or the contents of the file that alsa-info.sh creates, so we can try and fix your mute audio on boot
problem.

As for getting audio up, open a terminal, and follow these steps exactly. It appears your master volume is
turned up, but muted, so this should be relatively simple to unmute, as follows.

In a terminal, run alsamixer.
Once alsamixer is loaded, press the M key.
Press escape to exist, and hopefully your audio is unmuted. If you want confirmation, get another dump of
amixer output, and reply to this message with it attached so I can have a look.

Hope this helps.

Luke