[orca-list] installing linux on the mac

 hi james austin.
i was going to install ubuntu on my mac.
i read something about doing it only it recommends you keep mac
osx as that updates the mac hardware i think.
also the mac uses a different format for hard drives than a pc
and i think you have to use a tool to create a linux file system
on the space on the drive you wish to use for linux which sounds
rather complicated.
as far as i know you can't just do the normal procedure for
installing ubuntu by just popping in a ubuntu cd, running ubuntu
using the standard procedure you might just do on a pc and hope
to just install it as i don't believe it will just work this way
for you just to use the standard installation and just choose to
use the free space on your drive which you might just be able to
do on a pc with windows because from what i have read, macs don't
work that way because of the format that osx uses.
perhaps someone might be able to clarify this and tell me if i am
wrong because i was looking into doing this myself.