Re: [orca-list] Another thought on the preferences dialog info gathering

Here are my answers to your 3 survey questions re: the design of the Orca preferences dialogue, as it is now constructed. The questions are re-posted here, for the reader's convenience. Each option is named, followed by the answers to the three questions; answers will be a comma-separated list of 'y' and 'n' values.

1. Do I know exactly what this option is for? (without looking in Help)
2. Do I use this option?
3. Can I imagine why I or another Orca user might need this option?

general->keyboard layout:  y, y, y;

general->show orca main window:  y, y, y;

general->quit orca without confirmation:  y, n, y;

general->present tooltips:  y, n, y;

general->speak object under mouse:  y, n, y;

general->time format:  y, y, y;

general->date format:  y, y, y;

general->active profile:  n, n, y;

general->startup profile:  n, n, y;

voice->voice type:  n, y, y;

voice->speech system:  n, y, y;

voice->speech synthesizer:  y, y, y;

voice->person:  n, y, y;

voice->rate:  y, y, y;

voice->pitch:  y, y, y;

voice->volume:  y, y, y;

voice->break speech into chunks between pauses:  n, n, n;

voice->speak multi-case strings as words:  n, n, y;

voice->say-all by:  n, n, y;

speech->enable speech:  y, y, y;

speech->verbosity:  n, y, y;

speech->table rows:  n, y, y;

speech->punctuation level:  y, y, y;

speech->speak only displayed text:  n, n, y;

speech->speak blank lines:  y, y, y;

speech->speak indentation and justification:  y, n, y;

speech->speak object mnemonics:  n, n, y;

speech->speak child position:  n, n, n;

speech->speak tutorial messages:  n, n, y;

speech->progress bar updates:  y, y, y;

speech->progress bar updates->frequency:  y, y, y;

speech->progress bar updates->restrict:  y, y, y;

braille->enable braille support:  y, n, y;

braille->enable braille monitor:  n, n, y;

braille->end-of-line symbol:  n, n, y;

braille->abrieviated role names:  n, n, y;

braille->enable contracted braille:  y, n, y;

braille->contraction table:  n, n, y;

braille->verbosity:  y, n, y;

braille->selection indicator:  y, n, y;

braille->hyperlink indicator:  y, n, y;

key echo->enable key echo:  y, y, y;

key echo->enable alphanumeric-and-punctuation keys:  y, y, y;

key echo->enable modifier keys:  n, y, y;

key echo->enable function keys:  y, n, y;

key echo->enable action keys:  n, n, y;

key echo->enable navigation keys:  y, n, y;

key echo->non-spacing diacritical keys:  n, n, y;

key echo->enable echo by character:  n, n, n;

key echo->enable echo by word:  y, n, y;

key echo->enable echo by sentence:  y, n, y;

key bindings->orca modifier(s):  y, y, y;

key bindings->modified:  y, y, y;

key bindings->bookmark where am I w/respect to current position:  n, n, y;

key bindings-> go to bookmark:  n, n, y;

key bindings->left click on current review item:  y, y, y;

key bindings->right click on current review item:  y, y, y;

key bindings->routes pointer to current item:  n, y, y;

key bindings->add bookmark:  y, n, n;

key bindings->save bookmarks:  n, n, y;

key bindings->print debug listing of running apps in orca console:  n, n, y;

key bindings->report info on urrent script:  n, n, y;

key bindings->prints debugg info on app w/focus:  y, n, y;

key bindings->print debug info about ancestry of object w/focus:  n, n, y;

key bindings->go to next bookmark:  n, n, y;

key bindings->passes next command on to running app:  y, y, y;

key bindings->opens the find dialogue:  n, y, y;

key bindings->searches for next instance of a string:  y, y, y;

key bindings->speaks current, previous, next flat review char, word, line: y, y, y;

key bindings->spells, phonetically spells, speaks unicode value of current char, word, line: y, y, y;

key bindings->searches for previous instance of a string:  n, y, y;

key bindings->moves flat review to word above current word:  y, n, y;

key bindings->speaks current flat review object:  n, n, y;

key bindings->moves flat review to word below current word:  y, n, y;

key bindings->moves flat review to end of line:  y, n, y;

key bindings->moves flat review to end position:  n, n, n;

key bindings->displays application preferences dialogue:  y, y, y;

key bindings->moves flat review to home position:  y, n, y;

key bindings->reads attributes associated with current character:  y, y, y;

key bindings->toggles whether to ead table row or cell:  y, y, y;

key bindings->enters learn mode:  y, y, y;

key bindings->enters list shortcuts mode:  y, y, y;

key bindings->paints visible zones in active window:  n, n, y;

keybindings->enter/exit flat review:  n, n, n;

key bindings->quits orca:  y, y, y;

key bindings-<>performs basic where-am-I operation:  n, y, y;

key bindings->performs detailed where-am-I operation:  n, n, y;

key bindings->toggles the silencing of speech:  y, y, y;

key bindings->speaks entire document:  y, y, y;

key bindings->speaks the title bar:  y, y, y;

key bindings->speaks status bar:  y, n, y;

key bindings->speaks preferences dialogue:  y, y, y;

key bindings->presents current time/date:  y, y, y;

key bindings->cycles debug level at runtime:  n, n, y;

key bindings->decreases speech rate:  y, n, y;

key bindings->increases speech rate:  y, n, y;

key bindings->decreases speech pitch:  y, n, y;

key bindings->increases speech pitch:  y, n, y;

key bindings->pans braille display left:  y, n, y;

key bindings->pans braille display right:  y, n, y;

key bindings->toggle mouse review mode:  n, n, y;

key bindings->toggles speaking of indentation and justification:  y, n, y;

key bindings->cycles punctuation level:  y, n, y;

key bindings->cycle key echo level:  y, n, y;

key bindings->previous/next/list of notification message(s):  y, n, y;

key bindings->braille bindings group:  n, n, y;

pronunciation->dictionary:  y, n, y;
pronunciation->new entry:  y, n, y;

text attributes->attribute name:  n, n, y;
text attributes->speak:  n, n, y;
text attributes->mark in braille:  n, n, y;

text attributes->reset:  y, n, y.