Re: [orca-list] Accessible Distros

I've got to chime in here. I know nothing about accessibility in any distros other than ubuntu, vinux and trisquel, But this brings me to my question. I've been playing around with xfce in trisquel and my precise install, and I've managed to get it started. I'm using latest orca, v3.4.1 on precise, and v3.2.1 on trisqel. When xfce starts, orca does start, but will not speak anything other than, welcome to orca, and starting orca preferences. I have a little sight, so can see the prefs window open, and can navigate the desktop icons in xfce but nothing is spoken. When orca first starts up, when the orca splash disappears there's a dialogue box that pops up, probably an error of some sort but my sight isn't good enough to read this. Googling around tells me that I need to enable accessibility, but I'm not sure how to do this without speech, and anyway I'm not sure if orca will work with xfce if the accessibility keys work the same way. As a last resort, I tried running orca -t. This was an ightmare lol. I first quit orca with orca -q as the keyboard shortcut didn't seem to work. I start orca's terminal setup and get, welcome to orca setup. select speech ... etc etc. then infinite speaking of, please enter a valid number, please... I haven't pressed a key and am waiting for speech to stop so I can continue. I did manage to get orca to stop by switching to vt1 without speech, logging in and killing espeak. Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to at least play around with xfce, just to see how usable it is froma blind person's perspective, as unity is... hard to get used to.
Thanks
Kendell clark