Re: [orca-list] Accessible Distros

Hello, Nimer.

While I do not have an answer for all of your questions, I am currently running a Fedora 16 system on my home desktop computer. I have a very small amount of vision, and I would have to say that the installer is not completely accessible with Orca at this time...mainly the FirstBoot process which runs after the initial system restart following the installation from a live environment. I actually had to use the camera on my cell phone to complete the FirstBoot process. I had to zoom in as far as I could on the screen with my camera so that I could read through the steps in this procedure. It was quite a neck ache to say the least. This is not the fault of Orca, however. I really think that Fedora is a great system; it runs very well on my computer system, but I do not think that one who is completely blind could install it without sighted assistance.

There is a Speakup modified version of Fedora [1], but it is only at version 13 whereas Fedora itself is approaching version 17.

I hope that, someday in the near future, one could be able to install Fedora completely using Orca. I have tried to research this topic online, but I have found very little information. I know that Michael Whapples, who is also a member of this mailing list, tried to find out some information about this as well as I ran into some of his posts on the Fedora mailing lists.

I apologize for not being much of a help to you.

Take care.

[1] http://www.speakupmodified.org/